Using Access Control will place a cookie onto your machine - More info
Access Controls: | High Contrast | Extra Large Text - Large Text |

Myddle & Broughton Parish Council

Shropshire, UK

Home / Latest News

Latest News

For the latest news click on links below

MYDDLE AND BROUGHTON PARISH COUNCIL NEWS

 

PARISH COUNCIL NEWS MAY 2021

Parish Council Election:

Following the decision by six existing Members not to stand for re-election only eight residents sought election for the available ten seats. This meant that there were two vacancies which the Council could fill by ‘adopting’ members who would have the same rights as elected Members. Following some publicity, two applications were received and both people were co-opted at the meeting meaning that there is now a full Council.

Council Meeting – May 13th.

Changes to the regulations governing Council meetings meant that this month’s meeting could not be held on line using Zoom, so for the first time in twelve months the meeting was held in the Myddle Village Hall under strict Covid distancing rules. This meant that it was not possible to allow members of the public to attend and raise issues without an appointment and the same regulations will apply to the meeting in June, which will be held in Harmer Hill Village Hall.

As this was the Annual General Meeting of the Council the first business was the election of officers and representatives. Councillor Colin Ruck was re-elected un-apposed as Chairman with Councillor Ian Anderson appointed as Vice Chairman also un-apposed. Councillors then took on board responsibity for attendance at various committees and details of these can be found in the draft minutes which are already posted on the Council’s web site.

Items considered at the meeting included:

Wem Road pavement

Members were advised that this pavement had been included in the plans for the housing development that had taken place on Wem Road but had not been constructed by the developer. The Parish Council had put pressure on the planners and the developer to have the work completed but no action had been taken.

Shropshire Councillor B. Williams had been giving support for the past eighteen months and confirmed that the issue was now going to be subject to an enforcement order.

Play Area Inspections:

It was reported that Shropshire Council had appointed a new Play Ground Inspector and an annual contract had been agreed with Shropshire Council for six two monthly inspections and an Annual RoSPA inspection.

Under Covid restrictions some swing seats had been removed at both sites and it was agreed that a request should be made for these to be replaced.

Annual Litter Pick:

The Chairman reported that because of the on-going Covid lock down regulations it had not been possible to arrange the litter pick again this year. However residents could borrow the equipment and carry out a project in their own locality.

 

Planning Applications:

Details of five application had been received for consideration, mainly for extensions to existing properties and it was noted that plans for development on the Red Castle Public House site had been refused by Shropshire Council.

Council Members:

The following is a list of current Council Members and the wards they represent:

Chairman:

Mr. C. Ruck          Myddle

Vice Chairman:

Mr. J. Anderson     Broughton

Members:

Ms. J. Bienek         Myddle

Mr. G. Harding       Myddle

Mr. A. Harris           Broughton

Mrs. J. Jackson      Myddle

Mr. G. Miller           Myddle

Ms. H. Morgan      Harmer Hill

Miss. K. Row         Harmer Hill

Ms. C. Whittingham      Harmer Hill

Representative:

Shropshire Councillor:

Mr. B. Williams                                                       

Individual Members may be contacted via the Parish Clerk.

Reminder:

If you have any issues or comments please phone the Clerk on 01743 236810 or Email him on myddlebroughtonclerk@talktalk.netand note that there is plenty of information on the Council’s web site – www.myddleandbroughton-pc.gov.uk.


PARISH COUNCIL NEWS - April 2021

At the next Council meeting which is being held   on Thursday, May 13th. there will be a welcome for four new Members who are replacing Russell Purslow; John Heath, Liz Hodge, Roger Jones, Ray Tiernan and Lawrence Foulsham, who have all decided not to seek re-election. These Members have all given dedicated and committed service to the Council and the Community, several of them for over forty years but now feel it is time to hand over to new people. Most of them will be known to you and on behalf of all the Community we extend sincere thanks and wish them future good health and happiness.

The new Members joining the Council are Alexander Harris, Helen Morgan, Karyn Row and Celia Whittingham but because the Council is losing six Members and only gaining four means that there are still two vacancies and an attempt will be made to co-opt additional residents to fill those seats. So if you were too late with your application; failed to see the advertisement or were not sure what to do, now is your chance. Just get in touch with the Parish Clerk who will tell you what is involved and how to apply and all the applications will be considered at the May meeting.

The May meeting will be the Council’s Annual General Meeting with the election of officers and representatives and we are hopeful of holding it in Myddle Village Hall under the strict regulations issued by the Government which means that if Members of the public want to attend they will have to contact the Clerk beforehand so that arrangements can be made. By the time we hold the June meeting we expect that if the road map progresses as outlined by the Government meetings will be held as normal.

Just to remind you that if you have any issues or comments please make contact with the Clerk who will be more than happy to help. You can telephone 01743 236810 or email myddlebroughtonclerk@talktalk.net and there is plenty of information on the Council’s web site www.myddleandbroughton-pc.gov.uk.

 

PARISH COUNCIL NEWS March 2021

As has become the norm, this month’s Council meeting was accessed by Members online using Zoom and a full range of issues were considered, including the acknowledgement that this was the last meeting of the current Council. Parish Council elections are planned for May 6th and current Members have to stand for election alongside any other residents who feel that they would like to serve the community. With very few exceptions anyone in the Parish over eighteen years of age can stand for election, so if you have plenty of energy and enthusiasm this is your chance. If you are interested look out for information in the press or give the Parish Clerk a call and he will advise you what you need to do. During the meeting the following topics were considered:

Highways: 

There was disappointment that requests for pavements in Harmer Hill on the Wem Road and by the car park of the old Red Castle Public House had not been progressed further by Shropshire Council but Members welcomed the news that a buffer 40mph zone was to be created on the Ellesmere Road travelling into Harmer Hill from the direction of Myddle.

Village Halls:

It was unanimously agreed that an emergency grant of £1,000 should be given to each of the Village Halls to help them deal with the loss of income because of the lockdowns during the pandemic crisis. The halls provide an essential part of community life in both villages and in normal circumstances are well used for a whole range of activities for residents of all ages.

Charities:

Each year the Council has a budget to enables it to make small grants to worthwhile charities and this year it was decided to support the Severn Hospice; Hope House and Crane Counselling. All these organisations do exceptional work in the community and exist mainly through voluntary help and sponsored activities all of which have been severely curtailed during the past year.

Planning Applications:

Members felt able to support a wide range of applications across the area, all of which were related to extensions or improvements to existing properties but noted that applications for development at the Old Rectory in Myddle and at Harmer Hill Reservoir had been refused by Shropshire Council’s planning Department.

Correspondence:

Since the last meeting well over fifty items of relevant correspondence had been received by the Clerk and forwarded to Members for consideration. These messages included complaints, praise, requests for information, up-dates on the virus and legal reports and when necessary are responded to in appropriate ways by the Clerk acting on advice from Council Members.   

Next Meeting:

The next Council meeting is planned for May 13th and will be the first meeting of the new Council  Maybe there will be some new faces in the team and nearer the time it will be decided if the meeting can be held in a face to face situation or whether we shall need to     continue with Zoom.      

PARISH COUNCIL NEWS January 2021

The latest online Council meeting was held on January 6th. when a range of issues were considered including:

The Council Budget for 2021 – 2022.

Members had been forwarded a copy of proposed budget which had been prepared by the Clerk and already discussed with the Chairman and Vice Chairman. Following consideration of some items and an agreed recommendation that the grant to each Village Hall should be increased to £2,000, the budget was approved.

In spite of anticipated inflationary increases it was unanimously agreed not to seek an increase in the precept which could have resulted in an increase in the Community Tax.

Full details of the budget can be found on the Councils web site.

Highways:

It was noted that following letters of complaint to Shropshire Council’s Leader and C.E.O about the lack of action over reported problems, there had been positive responses to some of the issues that had been raised, although there were still a few outstanding. It had been hoped that these would have been resolved following the break for Christmas and the New Year but with the new ‘lock down’ regulations it was felt that there would be a further delay.

The Clerk reported that the need for the construction of a footpath alongside the old Red Castle car park had been added to the Parish Place Plan but there were difficulties in securing CIL (Local) funding for the project

It was agreed that the Clerk should write to the CEO again, thanking him for his actions but pointing out the difficulty in getting responses for certain officers who may well be working from home or furloughed

Correspondence:

Over seventy items of correspondence from a variety of sources had been received by the Clerk and passed to Members since the previous meeting. These were considered and where necessary replies had been made or were approved at the meeting.

Planning Applications:

A total of eight applications for development had been received and most of these were for extensions to existing properties. Details had been forwarded to Members for consideration and appropriate responses made. A new application for development at Harmer Hill Reservoir for conversion to form holiday let accommodation had been considered and responded to .The Council had indicated that it was not adverse to the proposal, providing all the current development on the site had been removed before approval was granted.

Meeting Dates:

The programme of dates was approved with the hope that later in the year they would be held as normal in the Village Halls – details can be found on the Council web site.

The Clerk reminded Members that the March meeting would be the final one for the current Council with elections planned for early May to elect the new Council.

Other Issues:

Members reported various issues related to pot holes and it was noted that increased heavy goods traffic on Lower Road, Harmer Hill was causing the edges of the road to break away.

It was also noted that volunteers were coming together to provide help for those seriously affected by the new ‘lockdown’ regulations.

ROAD SAFETY CONCERNS

MINUTES OF A MEETING HELD ON JANUARY 20TH. at 10.00am
Present:
Councillor R. Jeffrey (Chairman)
Councillor R. Tiernan
Mr. D. Gradwell (Shropshire Council)
The Parish Clerk
 
1. Purpose of the meeting:
The Chairman outlined the reasons for requesting the meeting, pointing out that the Council felt that there should be a more formal approach to the issue of road safety concerns. Many reports had been made but it appeared that very few had been resolved and a meeting of this nature would help to clarify the situation and enable the Parish Council to keep residents better informed.
Mr. Gradwell stated that he was happy to meet up with council representatives discuss safety issues which had been made and help where possible.
He then outlined his responsibilities, which were for the whole of north Shropshire and said that he received many requests from Parish Councils throughout the area at the identified times. He had to record, prioritise and cost these requests and make an assessment based on real need. These assessments were then forwarded to the Transport Planning Department, who considered them alongside reports received from the other areas of the County and eventually prepared a list for inclusion in the programme for the next financial year. Unfortunately Government money for this type of work had been severely reduced and further cuts were in the pipeline for the next few years, which resulted in most of the requests either being delayed or turned down.
2. Safety Concerns raised by the Council:
The Chairman then itemised the outstanding issues which had been raised by the Council over the past two years:
(a)Safety of children attending Myddle Primary School:
This had been identified by the Council as its highest priority, with many children having to cross a busy road to access the school, where traffic speed was frequently excessive and it was felt that there was a need for traffic calming measures. A traffic survey had been carried out on the Myddle to Baschurch Road which had shown that the 85th percentile recorded was 35mph. Mr. Gradwell agreed that it was a high priority and pointed out that certain measures had already been undertaken – the erection of a VAR sign; the construction of a roundabout and extensions to the 30mph limit. However he agreed that there was still a priority issue by the school and he had put this forward but had been unable to secure funding this year to even carry out a speed survey in the vicinity of the school. He had estimated that the cost of a speed survey would be £600 and any effective speed calming measures in the region of £30,000.
It was agreed that the realistic way to control the speed of vehicles would be to place ‘cushions’ in the road although these were unpopular with many road users.  Mr. Gradwell agreed that it could speed up any action if the Parish could use CIL money for all or part of the project and he agreed to propose a realistic estimate of the costs of the project.  Council would then be in a position to consider, see how much CIL money was available and consult with residents about the proposed system of control.
Mr. Gradwell agreed to write to the parish council outlining the problems, proposing the potential solutions and giving an approximate cost of the solutions proposed.
(b) Myddle to Baschurch Road:
It was agreed that extensive work had been carried out at the accident black spot near Myddlewood and that no further action could be taken.
(c) Brookside, Myddle:
An order had been placed with Ringway for the erection of ‘Unsuitable for HGV’ signs. Mr. Gradwell will push for completion of the order. A prohibition sign could be used but it would require a special order, take much longer to get agreement and cost considerably more.
(d) Entrance to Myddle Hill from Ellesmere Road:
Mr. Gradwell agreed to arrange for ‘SLOW’ signage to be put in place.
(e) Myddle Hill:
It was agreed that that section of the road was not suitable for road calming measures.
(f) Bus Stop opposite Garage on A528 at Myddle:
An order had been placed with Ringway for the erection of a ‘PEDESTRIANS CROSSING’ sign to be erected.
(g) Lower Road, Harmer Hill:
(i)Mr. Gradwell agreed to get the verge stones removed by the team headed up by Mr. Fisher (Highways area Engineer).
ii. The Clerk agreed to investigate whether the extension of the 30mph limit was included as part of the 106 agreement when The Pines was developed. If so there should be money available in that budget 
(h) Extension of 30mph limit on the A528 at Harmer Hill:
Request had been recorded but would require a ‘Road Transport Order’ for the change and unlikely to secure funding.
(i)Excessive Speed on many roads:
It was noted that the Safer Road Partnership were continuing to carry out checks and  had forwarded some useful data but there was a need to check if their actions were having any effect on the overall speed of traffic. Clerk to make further  contact with Mr. Connolly at the Safer Road Partnership.
(j) Entrance to the Hollow:
Agreed that the Highways maintenance team should see if improvements could be made – any extensive work would be very costly.
(k) Junction by the Bridgewater Arms:
It was agreed that the improvements carried out had greatly improved the junction.
3. Further Meeting:
It was agreed to meet again on June 8th. at 10.00am to review developments.
 
The Chairman thanked Mr. Gradwell for attending and stated that he felt that the meeting had been worthwhile and had clarified a number of issues.

Latest News

<< Previous | Next >>

Website by Interactive Information Services Ltd.